Every surface in your home is a surface where dust, grime, and allergens can collect and settle. This especially applies to things with lots of surface area, like your window treatments. Whatever type of window coverings you have should be included in your routine cleaning schedule. Not only will this extend their life and keep them looking fresh, but it will also purify your indoor air for those family members who suffer from allergies.
This may sound like a bunch of work and just a hassle, but the more often you do a quick spot clean, the less work your annual cleaning will be. Cleaning regularly prevents large buildup, meaning you won’t have to worry about any major cleaning projects.
Here are a few general tips on how to freshen up a variety of different window treatments.
Cleaning Blinds and Shutters
It’s easy to keep the varied types of blinds and shutters clean with a feather duster every month. For an annual cleaning, follow these simple steps to ensure your window treatments remain beautiful for years.
- Fully extend the blinds.
- Tilt the slats to an open position.
- Feather dust every slat.
- For wood blinds, use a wood polish with a soft rag.
- For faux wood, use a sponge with mild soap and water.
- Let dry
It’s that simple! This cleaning procedure works for materials of all different kinds and will keep your blinds and shutters clean and looking stylish!
Since cellular shades are made from delicate fabric, it is essential to refrain from using stringent soaps or spot removers, as these can damage the fabric and leave spots. To clean your cellular shades, simply:
- With the shades down, gently dust the fabric.
- For a more intense cleaning, consider using an upholstery attachment.
- Gently spot-clean the shades with a soft cloth and warm soapy water.
- Be sure to move the cloth in the same direction as the shades pleat in order not to rip or damage the fabric.
- Let dry before you raise the shades.
Cleaning Roman shades is a little more complicated due to their varied folds of fabric. It’s important to note that individually tailored Roman shades are best cleaned by a professional. Consult with your local dry cleaner about their cleaning process.
If you do choose to clean your shades, follow these steps.
- Completely remove the shade from the window.
- Lay the opened shade on a flat surface, such as a kitchen island or table.
- Gently spot-clean the fabric with a soft cloth and mild detergent.
- Let completely dry before rehanging to prevent the fabric from losing shape.
Panel and Roller Shades
- With the shades down, vacuum them with an upholstery attachment.
- Clean gently with mild soap and water.
- Let dry before raising the shades.
We are Here to Help
Stop by one of our showrooms in Charlotte, Cornelius, or North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, or set up an appointment, and one of our window treatment experts will reach out to you.
If you can’t come to us, we will gladly come to your home for a free consultation. We can answer any questions you might have about our window treatments and their proper care.