If you are looking for a classic window treatment that is going to provide your home with natural light control and privacy without compromising beauty or craftsmanship, look no further than custom plantation shutters from A Shade Above. At A Shade Above in Charlotte, North Carolina, we proudly manufacture our own plantation shutters right here in Charlotte. Since 1993, our talented team has built our North Carolina clients durable plantation shutters while focusing on customer service and quality. Our shutters are a time-honored tradition, and we would love to build beautiful custom shutters for your home!
The A Shade Above Process
Over the last 30 years, our team at A Shade Above has perfected our prized custom shutter design and process to provide the highest quality products for our clients. Our 15,000 square foot manufacturing facility in Charlotte is where we combine our state-of-the-art equipment with our Amish construction methods. This ideal combination of new-age equipment and old-world technique allows us to mill and manufacture our artisan plantation shutters in a way that brings dimension, durability, and ideal light control to your home. Because we are owned and operated locally, our team members can measure your home with ease, manufacture your shutters nearby, and install them efficiently. Our hand-built plantation shutters would be a beautiful addition to you home.
Customize Your Shutters!
Because your plantation shutters from A Shade Above are hand-made, they are also extremely customizable! When you choose our plantation shutters, you can work with our team to ensure that every aspect of your purchase fits your wants, needs, and design goals.
Choosing the Right Louver Size
Louvers are the angled slats that are installed in your plantation shutters, and while they add to the style and appearance of the shutters, they also control light and visibility. A Shade Above offers three different louver sizes so you can design your dream shutters while ensuring they have the functionality you desire.
- 2.5” (Traditional) Louvers: Traditional, 2.5” louvers are known to have a southern appeal and gained popularity in the late 1990s. These louvers are the smallest size that most shutter companies offer today. Due to their small size, you need more of these louvers to fill a custom shutter panel, which has the potential to reduce visibility and obstruct from the view. In general, 2.5” louvers offer average light control and limited visibility.
- 3.5” (Timeless) Louvers: The 3.5” louvers are the most popular option on the market because of their ability to blend easily with any decorating style. Timeless, 3.5” louvers offer double the visibility of their traditional counterparts and provide the perfect combination of light control and privacy.
- 4.5” (Modern) Louvers: If you are a homeowner who likes modern, clean lines, then the 4.5” louvers are the right choice for you. The largest size available, these modern louvers provide maximum visibility and wholly unobstructed views. This option provides generous light control and less maintenance, given that there are fewer slats to clean per shutter than other sizes.
- Split Tilt: In accordance with its name, the split tilt mechanism controls your shutters via a control rod that is cut, or split, at the desired location. This rod can then be used for independent control of the bottom and top portions of the shutter.
- Hidden Tilt: The Hidden Tilt mechanism, alternatively, acts as an invisible control rod at the back of the shutters. With this method, the louvers can all be adjusted by raising or lowering a single one, eliminating the need for a view-obstructing rod.
In addition to louver size and operating method, you can also customize your plantation shutters when it comes to some design-oriented aspects. You can choose from a variety of hinge finishes and paint colors to ensure that your custom shutters match existing architecture, furniture, and decor.
Without a doubt, custom plantation shutters from A Shade above would make a beautiful addition to any room in your home. Our hand-built shutters offer craftsmanship and durability in addition to light control. In addition to custom plantation shutters, A Shade Above carries Hunter Douglas blinds, shades, curtains, and honeycomb shades as well as indoor and outdoor motorized shades. Contact Us today to talk to member of our team about your custom plantation shutters or window treatment needs. A Shade Above proudly serves Charlotte, Cornelius, Matthews, Lake Norman, Lake Wylie, Huntersville, Fort Mill, Rock Hill, Weddington, Waxhaw, Monroe, Pineville, Mooresville, Mint Hill and Davidson, North Carolina.
WHAT CUSTOMERS ARE SAYING
“A Shade Above is an exceptional company. And, their customer service met and exceeded my expectations. My shutters arrived on time and were installed in a timely manner. They are absolutely beautiful and of the highest quality. The installers are talented craftsmen, real professionals. The absolute best! I will highly recommend A Shade Above to anyone who is looking for superior plantation shutters.”
“Talented Craftsmen, True Professionals”
“After getting several quotes, we decided to use A Shade Above to do plantation shutters in our home. We liked that our designer knew an issue immediately when the other two companies had missed it. The two gentlemen installing the shutters were very professional and knew exactly what they were doing. Overall, we are very happy with our purchase and would recommend them 100%.”
“Would recommend them 100%”
“What a positive experience. This was the right choice for Plantation Shutters. Not only was my bid competitive with others, here is where the true value appeared. Made Local, Wood Construction, Color matched, Prompt Delivery & Excellent Installation. I really enjoy supporting local business, especially when you can truly tell that they value their customers and the experience serving them. They earned a 5-Star rating!”
“Made Local, Wood Construction.”
“We just had plantation shutters installed throughout our home and could not be any more pleased! The entire process from start to finish was excellent. From our first contact with our Sales Representative, he was on time, friendly, educated and responsive. Our installers were also on-time, friendly, and very efficient. They even made sure to clean up in every room! The quality of the shutters is first class. What a difference it has made to our home.”
“The quality of the shutters is first class.”